07 Nov 2014 00:34
The Average Gamer Is 35 Years Old
As an adult I often encounter very young gamers shocked that someone my age would bother with video games. "Don't you have a job with a wife and kids to take care of?" is a typical question asked of me.
PBBG's, MMO's, and video games in general enjoy a very broad demographic and I know better than to assume that video games lock in only young gamers, primarily because I've encountered gamers much older than myself. Let's look at the real U.S. demographic of video game players:
- 65% of all households enjoy PC and console games.
- The average gamer is 35 years old and has been playing video games for 13 years. (Now you know why old farts pwn, they have years of experience).
- 40% of all game players are female and if you think they're kids read this next stat.
- 33% of all gamers are women age 18 years or older.
- 18% of all gamers are boys or teens under the age of 18.
- 63% of all parents believe games are have a positive influence with their children.
The average gamer is 35 years old with just 18% representing teen boys and 33% representing adult women.
So for those that think games are for kids only, we should remind ourselves that games are for everyone (and in fact many games are rated "E" for everyone) and that the gaming industry surpassed the U.S. movie industry a few years back. If you're a young teen and suddenly find yourself getting your ass whooped by someone in an online video game, MMO, or PBBG, just remember that there is a 33% chance that the person pwning you is an adult woman. Ha! *points and laughs*.
40% of all video game players are female.